Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why? Or more importantly, why?

As 99.9% of women understand, one of the biggest fears of growing older is becoming your Mother. We cringe when people say we're similar, wince when we hear we look like twins, and schedule Botox injections when someone of borderline intelligence asks, "Hey, is that your sister?"

Now we all love our Mothers, and in obedience to God, we know that we are to honor both our Father and Mother. These women went through nine months of carrying us around with swollen ankles, weird food cravings, and body changes that I don't even want to think about. And of course, in my case I would need to shrink like 10 inches to become my Mother...but I digress.
That said, imagine my horror this afternoon when I realized that I had been foolishly fearing the wrong thing for years. I realized that I have, in fact, become my Father - DOH!

Looking in a full length mirror, I couldn't believe what I was looking at. There was my Dad - in my clothes, hair and glasses - looking back at me. Now not so much in physical appearance since people remind me constantly that I look exactly like my Mother - just in adult size. But here I was - wearing big dorky house slippers, jeans that were too big and a heavy jacket - because for some reason I have this inherent need to turn the heater off in the dead of winter. And to add insult to injury - I found myself walking around today turning the lights off. What has happened to me? (If anyone sees me wearing dress shoes with white socks and shorts - please tackle me to the ground immediately.)

Now don't get me wrong - I love my Dad dearly. We get along great, grow closer as I get older, etc. But please help me Lord - I'm a single 31-year-old woman - why is this happening to me? I guess I always knew the tendency was there - we both read a lot, both get riled up over talk radio, and both eat too many frozen chimichangas. Maybe I've been in denial all these years?

Either way - I'm coming to terms with this fact. And while stranger things have happened, I'm dreading the day that I choose "The Andy Griffith Show" over the nightly news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lora, there are worse things then becoming your dad! My dad's so awesome, but I think I'm becoming my mom anyway. Oh well. Hey, I talked to Shannon 2nite about it but since uve been home so much, maybe u could call the best buy people about the dishwasher! I bought an extended warranty on all of the kitchen appliances so if they even blink at you wrong, please call the repair man! Someone just has to be home. I guess Christina said that the dishwasher isn't drying or washing properly anymore! The number for best buy is on a magnet on the side of the fridge. Just tell them ur me, or calling for me if ur not ok with that, and the phone number connected with the acct is 315-3466! thanks a million! I hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

hey girl! interesting...i'll have to look at you more closely next time. he-he! hope you are well...bernie