This has been an interesting year for me – God continues to shape and change my heart, and shows me daily that I am just one big mess – a definite work in progress (Phil. 1:6). After reading through Mark and Luke during my time home from work, I was reminded of the blink of an eye that is this life. How quickly we grow so comfortable in a world that will one day be gone. With earthquakes, cyclones, wars, famine – the list just goes on-and-on, day-after-day – the non-stop insanity around us. We are truly living in perilous times – and we need to encourage the lost to “Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near” (Isaiah 55:6). What a comfort to know that we, as believers, have a heavenly Father who has prepared a place for us. And what a burden we should have for those who do not know Him.
After the church retreat a few weeks ago, I was greatly convicted and burdened for those around me that I love who may not know the Lord, or make it known that they have no need or no desire for Him. I was reminded of the great love that God has for us – sending His only Son to die a horrendous death for the sake of evil sinners like myself. God showed me that I spend far too much time needing others for the sake of myself, instead of loving others for the sake of God’s glory.
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.”
I Corinthians 13:4-8
I need to ask myself daily, “Am I treasuring something above God throughout the day? Am I thinking of something specific that I must attain in order to be truly content? Am I so caught up in my own needs that I’m overlooking the needs of those around me? Am I forgetting to love others?” Sadly, many times throughout the day, the answer to all these questions is a shameful, yes. How quickly my focus can shift from the faithfulness and mercy of God, to something I believe I “need.” Or, how I can go from praying that God use me for the sake of others to a lapse of five minutes and I’m comparing my own circumstances with another and questioning God.
As my day progresses and I receive e-mails, phone calls, text messages and visits – I’m often prone to wonder, “Lord – what about me?” Throughout the day I often say out loud to myself, “God – you have a plan – and I don’t know what it is, but I trust that you know what is best and I know that you’re sovereign.” Who am I to ask what about me? Who am I to question where God has me right now? And who I am to come to a heavenly Father, disappointed in where He has me, when no matter where I am it is much better than what I deserve?
Oh God – teach me to be a humble servant. Teach me to take my eyes off myself and to be constantly burdened to pray for lost who so desperately need you. Please God – keep your Word at the forefront of my mind – and teach me to wait on you. Teach me to Lord to constantly practice I Corinthians 13.
3 comments:
hooray! a POST! yes... i am one of the 5 adoring fans. :-0 what else is a mama of 4 to do when she's trying to pretend the crazy kids are not in the house. :-)
Finally, a new blogpost! I'm another one of the 5! Thanks for your challenging words about evangelism and living to meet needs all around us rather than focusing on self!
Love ya!
Make that 6!!!
Post a Comment